It's November, which can mean any number of things. The year's almost over, it's dark by 4:30 p.m. now, Thanksgiving's in a few weeks. But it also means it's time for NaNoWriMo, aka National Novel Writing Month.
The goal is to write a 50,000-word novel by the end of the month. This is the third year I've attempted it; two years ago, I made it to about 35,000 words while last year I hit about 3,000 before a dead laptop, the Philly Marathon and Thanksgiving got in the way. I'm busier than ever this year, what with weekly podcast episodes, a biweekly running column and life in general going on, but I'm determine to at least try.
The idea isn't to write the so-called Great American Novel, it's to simply write something. It's an exercise that leads you to make some interesting and not always wise choices, as I found with the story I wrote two years ago. It started out promising and got really, really weird as I tried to keep it going. By the end, it was just a mess, and an unfinished one at that. I still want to go back and rework it because I had the beginnings of something good there.
As for this year, I want to start from scratch and of course, I haven't started yet. It's highly unlikely I'll hit the 50K mark this year, but I'll give it a shot.
Because it's all about the words:
Monday, November 02, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stuck In Thee Garage #654: October 16, 2026
By the time Friday rolls around, the weight of the world can weigh heavy on your shoulders. Not that it goes away on the weekends, but at le...
-
Part 4 of my conversation with guest Phil Stacey as we crown the winner of a March Madness-style tournament featuring our favorite rock arti...
-
There isn't enough time in the day to get everything done. And sometimes that leads to little details getting missed. Case in point: Whe...
No comments:
Post a Comment