Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The Ground Below

So I just finished a 41-day post binge writing about my favorite songs of the years 1978-2019. I started on May 3 and finished up on Sunday, and in between, well, all hell broke loose. Although the George Floyd killing is the focal point, this stuff has been going on pretty much forever. And there have been incidents since Floyd died on May 25. But this doesn't seem like an issue that's going to be forgotten any time soon, and that's a good thing.

There are a lot of pissed off people out there and for good reason. I've always been cynical about seeing meaningful positive change from our government, and that probably still won't happen overnight with the current administration. But hopefully it mobilizes people to get out and vote in November.

In the meantime, we're still dealing with this pandemic, which has been showing signs of coming back (or not going away) in states that have jumped the gun on opening things up. They seem to be treading with caution here in Mass., which is good IMHO. Believe me, I want to get back to doing the stuff I used to do, but not until there's a proven vaccine out. So for now, we keep our heads down and our masks on.



No comments:

Day After Day #116: Higher Ground

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Higher Ground (1973) It's pretty wil...