Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Finding My Way

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Tuesday, October 2, 1984

RUSH CONCERT!

Song of the day: Finding My Way - Rush

Top 5 at Five
1. Red Barchetta - Rush
2. I Can't Drive 55 - Sammy Hagar
3. Pride (In the Name of Love) - U2
4. Pink Cadillac - Bruce Springsteen
5. I Wanna Rock - Twisted Sister

The day started off lousy. I met [Cute Nerdy Girl] in Guidance. She told me the truth. Her father didn't want her seeing me because I was dark-skinned. She was pretty pissed. Oh well. I guess I should expect that sort of thing.

At 6, [drummer dude] came by. He had some burnouts in the car with him. They were going to Lowell to buy some drugs or something. Then we had to pick up his girlfriend from Amesbury. By the time we got to the Centrum, Fastway was almost finished their set. I was pissed. But then Rush came out! Man, what an excellent show! They were incredible! Geddy, Alex and Neil all kicked ass! They played 7 songs off Grace Under Pressure, a lot of stuff off Moving Pictures and Signals, "Temples of Syrinx," "In the Mood," "Finding My Way," "Closer to the Heart." It was great. We had good seats. I saw [three buddies from school] and got a ride home with them. Thank goodness. I got home at 12:15.

What a night!

Bye, [CNG].

- The Barbarian

Wednesday, October 3, 1984

Song of the day: In the Mood - Rush

I got up at 11 this morning. We went to Methuen right away. I bought a Maxell 90-minute blank tape. By the time we got home, it was 3. I took the car and went to the field house. After I got changed, I went out to my car to look at the Kingstonian I picked up earlier. [CNG] was just arriving on her bike to watch the game. I said hi and we talked a bit. I then went to warm up.

We beat Farmington, 3-0! [Buddy] scored 2 goals and [another guy] the other. Farmington's a pretty bad team. They all bunched up and stood around. [Our regular goalie] played left wing for the last quarter. He played pretty good! Next is St. Thomas on Friday.

- The Barbarian

Thursday, October 4, 1984

Song of the day: Rockin' at Midnight - The Honeydrippers

Top 5 at Five
1. Rockin' at Midnight - The Honeydrippers
2. Girls With Guns - Tommy Shaw
3. I Wanna Rock - Twisted Sister
4. Blue Jean - David Bowie
5. I Can't Drive 55 - Sammy Hagar

I got up at 6. They were hot-topping the rest of the driveway at school today. I got a 100 on that Psych quiz. Tomorrow I have tests in Field Bio, Adv Math and Psych.

There was no soccer practice today, so I came home and taped my Ratt and Scorpions (Sting) albums. Sounds good.

I got all my college application forms out.

- The Barbarian

Friday, October 5, 1984

Song of the day: Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin

I hope I did good on those tests today.

We beat St. Thomas, 1-0. I didn't play, though. It was wicked cold out.

- The Barbarian

Saturday, October 6, 1984

Song of the day: Sinner's Swing! - Van Halen

I got up at 10. Went to work at 12. Got home at 10.

[Guitar dude] was working today. He said he broke up with [ex-gf]. Hmm.

- The Barbarian

Sunday, October 7, 1984

Song of the day: Blue Highway (live) - Billy Idol

I had to work all day today. We went to Papa Gino's for lunch. [Drummer dude] was fired Wednesday. Geez.

We didn't get out till 7:45 because the back room was such a mess.

San Diego beat the Cubs. Now they play Detroit in the World Series. Who woulda thunk?

- The Barbarian

Monday, October 8, 1984

Song of the day: Bears - Zebra     

Today sucked. Totally. I got a 73 on the Field Bio test, a 76 on the Adv Math test and an 82 on the Psych test. I couldn't believe it.

Then, in our practice, we lost a scrimmage with the JVs, 2-0. Can you believe it?

Dad saw some psychic who said I would be getting into either drugs or booze soon. Yeah, right.

- The Barbarian

Tuesday, October 9, 1984

Song of the day: The Duellists - Iron Maiden

We lost against Pittsfield, 2-1. I couldn't believe it. I didn't play so I was pissed. Coach is mad because we screw around too much.

Mom decided that we won't go to Yale on Sunday.

Later.

- The Barbarian

Wednesday, October 10, 1984

DAVID LEE ROTH'S BIRTHDAY

Song of the day: Take Hold of the Flame - Queensryche

Another not-so-great day.

- The Barbarian

Thursday, October 11, 1984

Song of the day: The Unforgettable Fire - U2

My story on Rush is going in the paper next week.

We lost our game to Raymond 4-0. I played a bit. We didn't stop at McDonalds so I didn't have any dinner tonight.

- The Barbarian

Friday, October 12, 1984

Song of the day: In the Evening - Led Zeppelin

Top 5 at Five
1. Girls With Guns - Tommy Shaw
2. Valotte - Julian Lennon
3. Cheap Sunglasses (live) - ZZ Top
4. I Wanna Rock - Twisted Sister
5. Had a Dream - Roger Hodgson

Alright day. I spent 1st period in the computer room working on my fourth program.

I got home at 2:30. I got a few hours of sleep.

I went to the Bucket to get my check tonight. $68. [Hot chick from work] asked me for a picture of me. I asked her for one of her. What a babe!

- The Barbarian

Saturday, October 13, 1984

Song of the day: Heaven's On Fire - KISS

I got up at 9. I mailed my Ach test forms. Then I took the garbage to the dump, deposited $68 in the bank, bought 2 money orders to pay off my RCA bills. I also ordered 2 speakers for my Walkman from Columbia.

After all that, I went to work. Mom dropped me off. I gave [hot chick from work] my picture. She's gonna give me hers tomorrow. She likes me. Wow.

I'm working all day tomorrow and 12-9 next Saturday.

I got home at 10.

- The Barbarian

Sunday, October 14, 1984

Song of the day: Subdivisions - Rush

I got up at 6, went to work, got home at 8.

- The Barbarian

Monday, October 15, 1984

Song of the day: You're Still Laughing - Fee Waybill

What a day. I fell asleep in Adv Math. We lost to Winnacunnet, 4-1. I played right halfback. I ate at McDonalds and then Mom made me eat dinner at home. So I got a wicked bad stomach ache. It lasted from 8:30 till I fell asleep. Ugh.

- The Barbarian

Tuesday, October 16, 1984

Song of the day: Bad Girl - ZZ Top

Today was a bit better. I got an 85 on that Computers quiz and I finished my 4th program. We had an optional practice today, but I didn't go.

I started filling out my college applications tonight.

- The Barbarian

Postscript: That Rush show was quite the adventure. I was so clueless about dope and stuff and was so paranoid that we'd get pulled over. Worked out pretty well that I ran into some friends at the concert and got a ride with them. I never really saw that dude after that, although we're now friends on Facebook. In retrospect, missing most of Fastway's set was no big deal; they were horrible. Rush was great, especially for a fanatic like me. I ended up seeing them twice on the Power Windows a year later, and haven't seen them in the 28 years since.

More soccer games I didn't play much in. Being a benchwarmer sucks. Oh well, there was only a game left in my high school career, anyway. I became much more of an athlete after college. 

I should've at least asked that girl from Market Basket out. Not sure why I didn't, really. Stupid! The situation with CNG and her dad was one of the few times I ran into actual racism at this school. One thing that always nagged at me a bit was the fact that I never met the guy, so how did he know what I looked like? Unless she told him, I guess. I had no reason to doubt her story, but it was a little out there. Certainly not unheard of, though. I've run into her a few times over the years; she's been married a couple of times, has a couple of grown kids.



No comments:

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...