Saturday, September 08, 2012

Feeling Gravity's Pull

I don't like to sit idle. I stay busy. Sometimes a little too busy. Work. Exercise. Family time. Writing commitments. Podcast. Somehow everything seems to get done when it's supposed to (although I've been neglecting this blog lately).

One thing I hadn't planned on doing this fall was coaching a soccer team. I had coached both Hannah and Lily at different times when they were younger, but I've been content the last few years to watch from the sidelines as a proud parent.

But like Al Pacino in Godfather III (which I DON'T recommend you see because it suck-diddly-ucks), just when I think I'm out, they keep pulling me back in. Apparently there were enough coaches volunteering this year and I was basically told if I didn't coach Hannah's U-12 team, there may not be a team. I'm not entirely sure that was the case, but I didn't want to be responsible for her not being able to play. She really enjoys it and I think she's a decent player.

Of course, this fall is insanely busy for me even without the coaching commitment, which includes TWO practices a week. Work's picking up and I'm going to be out of town the next two weekends for Reach the Beach and a work conference, respectively, meaning I'll miss our second and third games. Our first game kicks off in about an hour and we're a little underprepared because we've only been able to have one practice due to Labor Day and some rainy conditions this week. But it's a good group of girls and I think we'll do okay. And the guy I'm coaching with seems pretty cool. Sure, it's going to add to my stress level, but hey, it's not like my hair can go more gray.

No comments:

Stuck In Thee Garage #524: April 19, 2024

A wise man once said, "You might as well jump" and by gum, we believed him. This week on Stuck In Thee Garage, I played songs abou...