Sunday, April 17, 2011

I Got Nothin'

We're on the cusp of yet another Boston Marathon. The 30,000 or so folks who are registered for the race are nervously awaiting the dawn and the running of the most important marathon in the world. But not me. I'm not nervous, because I'm not running.


I've run Boston three times, but I don't feel the need to do it every year. But many folks just assume I'm running it. It's kind of funny to me. People almost seem disappointed when I tell them I'm not doing it. But whatever. This spring, I decided not to do a marathon and I'm okay with that. Sure, there are some slight pangs of anticipation and envy as the buildup towards Boston takes place. But I was pretty banged up physically and mentally after last year's marathons and I just needed a break.


Instead, I'm doing two half marathons, which are much easier to train for. Although the Great Bay Half I did a few weeks ago in Newmarket, NH, kicked my butt. It's very hilly, and I knew that since I ran it in 2007, but it wasn't an easy winter to do hill work. I did most of my running on the treadmill and paid the price in the last few miles at Great Bay. But my next half, The Run to Remember on May 29, is a flat run along the Charles River in Boston, so hills won't be a problem. My only worry is the potential for a hot, humid day. The race starts at 8 a.m., so I should be done before it gets too hot out there. We'll see.


In the meantime, I've also signed up to play on an over-40 soccer team. I was supposed to make my debut this morning but the game was rained out. Of course, an hour after it was called off, the sun came out, but the field was apparently in rough shape from all the rain we've had lately. I decided to go out to a nearby field with the girls later in the day and do some windsprints with cleats on, just to get used to them again. The last time I wore them in a game, Hannah was a newborn (she turns 9 in two weeks). I'm going to be one of the younger guys on my team; I'm hoping I can bring a little speed to the team, if not skill. Should be fun.



No comments:

Day After Day #85: Gentlemen

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Gentlemen (1993) When the Afghan Whigs...