Friday, February 04, 2011

Mixology: Sonic Boomlet

Mixology is a recurring feature in which I take a look at one of the many mix tapes (or CDs) I made over the years. Some are better than others, but all of them are fun to revisit.

Sonic Boomlet (April 2007)

This was one of the last mixes I made for which I actually printed out the tracklist. I'm not sure exactly when I stopped doing so, but I guess my life got so busy that it was no longer a priority. Soon I was burning discs of the monthly iTunes playlists I made but just labeling them with simply the date and occasionally a name. After all, I had all the playlists in iTunes, or I did until I had to get my PC wiped clean of contaminants and I lost them all.

It reminds me of the cassettes I made back in the mid-80s. I used to write the song titles out in different colored markers...for a while until I just went with plain ol' blue or black pen ink. I even went through a phase when I'd decorate the inlay card with some cool picture I'd cut out from a magazine; of course, this would mean there would be no song information, but hey, it looked good.

I did the same thing with burned CDs, mixes and others, using interesting fonts for the artist names and album titles. I did it with this mix, using a cool font that I can't recall for the title. Again, this only lasted a short while.

Something always gets in the way, I suppose, and the frivolous leads to the practical. But no matter the look, fancy or boring, at least I've still got the music to recall a time when it was no big thing to spend some time on a mix CD.

Bomb. Repeat. Bomb. - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
Death or Life We Want You - The Dears
No Cars Go - Arcade Fire
This is All I Came to Do - Dinosaur Jr.
No Backbone - Lemonheads
Creeping Up the Backstairs - The Fratellis
Hunting for Witches - Bloc Party
Brianstorm - Arctic Monkeys
Everything is Average Nowadays - Kaiser Chiefs
Dashboard - Modest Mouse
Gronlandic Edit - Of Montreal
Spit Shine Your Black Clouds - Blood Brothers
Kreative Kontrol - Hot Snakes
We've Come So Far (To Be Here Today) - Radio Birdman
Province - TV On the Radio
Fiery Crash - Andrew Bird
Impossible Germany - Wilco
The Kids Don't Get It - The Tragically Hip
Before the End of the Race - Sloan


All I came to do:


Province:

No comments:

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...