Friday, January 21, 2011

Mixology: Jumpstart Jukebox

Mixology is a recurring feature in which I take a look at one of the many mix tapes (or CDs) I made over the years. Some are better than others, but all of them are fun to revisit.

Jumpstart Jukebox (January 2008)

January can be a real killer of a month. It's dark, cold and miserable. There's not a whole hell of a lot to do except wait for it to be over. This doesn't change from year to year, but at least there's rock to get us through.

Despite January being pretty much a wasteland in terms of new releases, this mix contains all new stuff that had come out in the preceding few months. It was a heady time in these parts: At the end of January 2008, the Patriots were 18-0 and heading to the Super Bowl to face the Giants. I don't remember what happened after that, just like I don't remember what happened to the Pats last weekend. It's all a blank and it's gonna stay that way.

I had just begun training for the New Jersey Marathon, which remains my fastest race (3:43). The Leafs fired GM John Ferguson Jr. and optimism reigned supreme; alas, three years later, they still suck big time. The more things change...

Idle Hands - The Gutter Twins
Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution - The Black Crowes
Baltimore - Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks
(My Head)/R.I.P. Allegory - Times New Viking
Bamboo Banga - M.I.A.
Tell Me - Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings
I Want Oblivion - Heavy Trash
Navy Nurse - The Fiery Furnaces
Bad Phone Call - Buffalo Tom
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife - Drive-By Truckers
Devastation - The Besnard Lakes
Angels - Black Mountain
(I Don't Need You to) Set Me Free - Grinderman
Tight Black Rubber - Black Francis
Skinny Love - Bon Iver
Society - Eddie Vedder
Wonderful Witches - Thurston Moore
Phantom Limb - The Shins
Conquest - White Stripes




Idle Hands:


Tight Black Rubber:

No comments:

Day After Day #112: Army of Me

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Army of Me (1995) When it comes to artis...