Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Good, Not Great

Getting ready for Memorial Day weekend, that unofficial springboard into summer. Appropriately enough, the weather's finally warming up. Temps are moving into the 70s, with forecasts calling for 80s and higher into early next week. Lucky for me I'm running a marathon on Sunday; the fact that it's in Vermont will cool things down a little. Our original plan was to go up early Saturday, stay the night and leave Sunday after the race, but Deb added another night to our hotel reservation so we could stay Sunday night. It'll be nice not to cram my weary body into the car for a three-hour drive home on Sunday.

Speaking of running, I just entered a team into the River to Sea Relay adventure run in New Jersey in August. It's a 14-leg, 92-mile event with teams consisting of seven runners each. It was my bro-in-law Matt's idea; the team is the two of us, a couple of speedy friends and some friends of theirs. It should be fun and punishing at the same time. I've never done anything like this, so it will definitely be an experience.

Huevos rancheros:
  • I'm going to the Pearl Jam show at the TDBanknorthFleetPantsGarden tomorrow night. I'm really looking forward to it. The new album's excellent, and I haven't seen PJ in 12 years. Of course, it'll be a far cry from when I saw them play at the small club Axis in Boston back in '92. Me and my brother got right up front and were a few feet away from Eddie Vedder. It was just before they got really huge. They played Saturday Night Live a few days later and then joined Lollapalooza that summer, when we saw them again at Great Woods in Mansfield (now known as the Tweeter Center). I caught them two years later at the Boston Garden, but haven't seen 'em since. My Morning Jacket is opening the show, so I hope to catch their set as well.
  • I hadn't mentioned this at the time, but I picked up a new iPod 2GB Nano a few weeks ago. My 10GB iPod still works fine, but I wanted something a little more lightweight that I could run with; plus the Nano doesn't skip because it's Flash-based, not a hard drive. Speaking of Apple, they recently unveiled a new wireless device that can transmit data from your Nikes to your iPod while you run. Of course, you have to buy new shoes that have a special sensor that can communicate with your Nano. Wiggity wack. I can't see blowing $100 on special shoes; my first concern with running shoes is whether they help me with my pronation. Still, cool technology.
  • Apparently, they're having a problem in Australia with fatcats. I mean fat cats.

No comments:

Day After Day #106: Doo Wop (That Thing)

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Doo Wop (That Thing) (1998) A lot of t...