Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Cold as Ice

Normally at this time on a Tuesday night, I'm on my way to play hockey. But tonight, we're in the midst of a nasty storm that's more about high winds and freezing rain than snowfall. So rather than risk cracking up one of our cars on 128, I'm staying home.

This week, I'm featuring a song from a singer-guitarist named Kevin Salem, who released two excellent albums in the mid-90s before dropping out of sight. His 1994 album Soma City featured Neil Young-esque guitarwork and equally strong songs. The lead single, Will, was about as good a song as I heard that year. He followed his debut with 1996's Glimmer, another strong effort, but then was promptly dumped by his label, Roadrunner. According to the AllMusicGuide, Salem worked on his third album for several years before quietly releasing 2001's Ecstatic. Haven't heard it, but I'll have to pick it up someday.

No comments:

Day After Day #106: Doo Wop (That Thing)

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Doo Wop (That Thing) (1998) A lot of t...