Monday, February 21, 2005

Let's Get Retarded

Wow, what a rollercoaster of a weekend for hockey fans. Only a few days after the NHL officially cancels the season, rumors abound that a deal is in the works. Gretzky and Lemieux were supposedly leading the effort, etc. On Saturday morning, ESPN, The Hockey News, and other outlets were reporting that the deal was done, with both sides agreeing on a $45 million salary cap. Then by dinnertime, it became apparent that not only was a deal not done, it wasn't even in the ballpark. Season still cancelled, and both sides now accusing the other of deliberately misleading the press and the fans. I didn't think it was possible for the league and its players to look any worse after they cancelled the season, and somehow they were able to sink even further. See you in the fall, or maybe later, you clowns.

Running update: Instead of giving out injury waivers, the Vermont City Marathon hosts a bulletin board for folks to sell their bib numbers if they need to, so I sold mine to a woman hoping to run her first marathon. Cool way to get my money back and help someone else out at the same time. I've been making decent progress, getting up to 24 minutes on the treadmill. I just bought some new shoes over the weekend, so I have to cut my minutes back to break them in. But hopefully I can keep progressing. My goal is now to do a fall marathon, possibly Philly or Hartford. Wish me luck.

Picked up Green Day's American Idiot last weekend and man, does that kick ass. Pretty amazing album from beginning to end. Nice to see those guys turn it around after seemingly hitting the wall a few years back. Also got Trail of Dead's new CD, Worlds Apart, which is growing on me. A Pitchdork reviewer ripped the album a new one, but I like it. Don't like it as much as their last album, but it's good nonetheless.

No comments:

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...