Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Keep On Movin'

When I describe the Reach the Beach relay to people, the word "insane" usually comes up once or twice. It's really a rather nutty endeavor. But 15 years into it, RTB is more popular than ever. As I drove up to Salem, NH, to meet my team and head up to the start in Franconia Notch, I wondered how it would go. I've been hacking my lungs out for the last two weeks, and even though I'd continued to run, I was hoping I wouldn't bum out my teammates who were stuck in a van with me for 24+ hours and 200 miles. I was also wondering how my feet, which both have heel and Achilles problems, would do under the increased RTB workload.

The team, as always, differed a bit from the previous year. We had a few people drop out, including my friend Molly, but I was able to get my old buddy Bob after he expressed interest. It was pouring here and alas, also at Cannon Mountain when we got there. Our start time was 1 p.m., later than we usually begin; we tried to get everyone to put down slower times so we could start earlier, but I guess we weren't slow enough. I was in Van 2, so after the first runner headed out, we drove on ahead and got some lunch at Flatbread Pizza in North Conway. Last year, I had chicken parm for lunch and it came back to haunt me; this time, I had a small pepperoni and mushroom pizza that seemed a little lighter.

Fortunately, the rain had long ceased by the time we started our first legs. I headed out around 8 after it was already dark, which was a first. I was used to doing our first leg in the waning daylight. I struggled with the hills on the 6.36-mile leg, which I also ran last year. My stomach didn't bother me, and I kicked ass on the last mile or so of downhill to finish in 51:51 (8:09 pace). Alas, after the run I spent about 40 minutes just coughing non-stop. Not fun. We had three runners go after me and then we headed to the transition area in Laconia to get some sleep; of course, we didn't realize it had been moved to a different school and had to backtrack, but it was fine.

We parked around 1 a.m. and figured it'd be two or three hours before Van 1 got there to hand off to us again. I tend to have trouble sleeping during RTB and I wasn't helped by my coughing and self-consciousness about waking everybody else up. I probably got 90 minutes of fitful sleep, punctuated by coughs, drinking water and the occasional trip to the porta-potties. We got Bob up when we got word from Van 1 that they weren't far off. The handoff was at 4:20 and we were off. By the time I got the handoff, daylight was creeping out. I had a very hilly 8.5-mile leg; I was passed almost immediately by three or four fast runners but maintained fairly fast splits (7:40, 7:35) for the first few miles until the mega-hilly mile 3. I ended up walking a few times and had a 10:40 split. But then the terrain leveled off and the leg finished with a huge downhill that I took advantage of, picking off six runners ahead of me. Finished strong in 1:11 (8:21 pace) and promptly started coughing like a mofo.

We finished our second set of legs and drove to Manchester to the Airport Diner, which has become a tradition for Van 2. I got French toast again and actually nodded off at one point before the food arrived. We drove to Kingston to wait for Van 1. I didn't get any sleep there; rather, threw a frisbee around with Bob and just hung out. Surprisingly, I didn't feel exhausted even though I know I was. I started my run a little after 4 and felt surprisingly strong. Usually the last leg is totally done on fumes, but I had a lot of power left. The 4.1-mile leg starts in downtown Exeter and heads up a long hill before finishing on a straightaway at the Timberland headquarters. Once I got the top of the hill, I blew past 10 runners on my way in. Felt awesome.  I regretted not picking up some beer to have in the van after I got done. Bob ended up doing an extra run because one of our teammates was injured. We ended up getting to Hampton Beach a little after 6 p.m. in 29:05, 172nd out of 474 teams. Not too bad. Considering how banged up a lot of us were, this was impressive.

The beer tent was sponsored by Narragansett and as much as I'd been looking forward to it, the first beer I had just didn't go down well (could've been the hot sauce I had with my burrito bowl). So we left after that since we still had to drive to Salem and unload the van, and then drive home. I got home around 9.

The cough continued Monday, so I decided to go to the doctor to get checked out. Turns out I had post-viral bronchitis, which basically means I have a nasty cough that won't go away. At least my feet felt pretty good, which is a good sign.

This was the fifth RTB for both me and another teammate, which means we hit the 1,000-mile mark this year. Pretty cool.

No comments:

Stuck In Thee Garage #654: October 16, 2026

By the time Friday rolls around, the weight of the world can weigh heavy on your shoulders. Not that it goes away on the weekends, but at le...