Mixology is a recurring feature in which I take a look at one of the many mix tapes I made over the years. Some are better than others, but all of them are fun to revisit.
Lawrence Welk--A Tribute to Iowa (6/12/88)
By now, you already know this isn't a Lawrence Welk compilation. In the summer of '88, I was making a pittance working as a reporting intern at the Peabody Times. I made the 45-minute drive from Kingston, NH, to Peabody every day, earning the impressive total of $57 and change after taxes each week. To make up for that, I worked night crews at the Market Basket in Plaistow, NH; at the very least, I'd have some beer money for my upcoming senior year at UNH. So I was working 60-70 hours a week and having a blast.
Even though I did little to no partying that summer, I was okay with that. There was plenty of time for that foolishness when I got back to school; this was my future I was working for. Besides, my parents wouldn't have been too thrilled if I was out getting trashed every night. I was too damn tired by the time I got home to do much, anyway.
One of the first stories I wrote was about a preschool class in Peabody; those kids are in their mid-20s now. Damn. I was only 20 when I wrote the article.
I remember making this mix to give me something to listen to on my drives to and from work in my dad's Pontiac J2000. It was a lot mellower than the stuff I was normally listening, more reflective of a lazy summer mood. Too bad it wasn't a lazy summer. It's funny, I probably worked harder during my summer and Christmas vacations than I did in college. Physically, anyway. Mentally, I was already in the working world. The light at the end of the tunnel, however, was the fact that I'd be back at college in a few short months for one last year of carefree living. I made the most of it, too.
Side A:
Take Your Whiskey Home - Van Halen
Hangman Jury - Aerosmith
Cold Shot - Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
Right Next Door (Because of Me) - Robert Cray
Down to the Waterline - Dire Straits
People Get Ready - Jeff Beck with Rod Stewart
Big Log - Robert Plant
Private Life - The Pretenders
Feel It Burn - Kim Mitchell
Shine Like It Does - INXS
Side B:
Friends - Led Zeppelin
Getting in Tune - The Who
In a Simple Rhyme - Van Halen
Summer's Up - Max Webster
Sweet Sixteen - Billy Idol
Wishes - Jon Butcher
That Voice Again - Peter Gabriel
Little Wing - Sting
Rain in the Summertime - The Alarm
Somewhere Down the Crazy River - Robbie Robertson
Private Life:
Somewhere Down the Crazy River:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stuck In Thee Garage #654: October 16, 2026
By the time Friday rolls around, the weight of the world can weigh heavy on your shoulders. Not that it goes away on the weekends, but at le...
-
Part 4 of my conversation with guest Phil Stacey as we crown the winner of a March Madness-style tournament featuring our favorite rock arti...
-
There isn't enough time in the day to get everything done. And sometimes that leads to little details getting missed. Case in point: Whe...
No comments:
Post a Comment