Mixology is a recurring feature in which I take a look at one of the many mix tapes I made over the years. Some are better than others, but all of them are fun to revisit.
Too Cool for Humans (winter '91)
This tape's origins are a bit fuzzy to me, partly because unlike most of the mixes I made, I never wrote the songs or date on the inlay card. I got all artsy-fartsy and cut out a cool looking picture of an eskimo fishing while a deer sits next to him, using it as the "album art." I think it was from a vodka ad in an issue of SPIN.
So I'm just guessing at the date. I was living in Beverly and all the songs are from '91 or earlier, so I think I made it while I was renting a place in an old Victorian in Centerville. It was built in the 1600s and was fairly spacious, but the old odd-sized windows let in a lot of cold air in the winter. My girlfriend and I only stayed there about nine months before moving across town to the very house I live in now.
Pretty clear dividing line on this tape: Alt-rock (except for John Lee, I guess) on the first side, harder stuff on the second before circling back. Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend album had just come out and "Divine Intervention" was getting a lot of local airplay. That song just blew me away. Side B got a little silly with the run of Cult/VH/Extreme, but it redeemed itself with the subsequent songs. Fishbone got some love on this mix; their The Reality of My Surroundings album from '91 was their peak, IMHO. U2 was also at the pinnacle of their recorded career with Achtung Baby, which is a ridiculously great album. Strong collection for the most part. One sidenote: This mix was recorded over a 1989 Rolling Stones show that I had recorded off WBCN; I never listened to the concert and must have needed a tape, so there you have it. There's a little clip left over at the very end of the mix.
Side A
Divine Intervention - Matthew Sweet
Even Better than the Real Thing - U2
Low - R.E.M.
Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs are Taking Over) - Elvis Costello
Obvious Song - Joe Jackson
Union, Jack - Big Audio Dynamite
I Took a Fall - Bim Skala Bim
Stripped Me Naked - John Lee Hooker
Big Sky Country - Chris Whitley
Everyday Sunshine - Fishbone
Love and Happiness - Living Colour
Side B
Jesus Christ Pose - Soundgarden
Sad But True - Metallica
Earth Mofo - The Cult
Poundcake - Van Halen
It's a Monster - Extreme
Get Down, Make Love - Queen
Sunless Saturday - Fishbone
Head in the Sand - Hoodoo Gurus
Highway Girl - The Tragically Hip
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) - U2
Girlfriend - Matthew Sweet
I Want to Hug You - John Lee Hooker
Girlfriend:
Sunless Saturday (directed by Spike Lee, methinks):
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stuck In Thee Garage #654: October 16, 2026
By the time Friday rolls around, the weight of the world can weigh heavy on your shoulders. Not that it goes away on the weekends, but at le...
-
Part 4 of my conversation with guest Phil Stacey as we crown the winner of a March Madness-style tournament featuring our favorite rock arti...
-
There isn't enough time in the day to get everything done. And sometimes that leads to little details getting missed. Case in point: Whe...
No comments:
Post a Comment