Mixology is a recurring feature in which I take a look at one of the many mix tapes I made over the years. Some are better than others, but all of them are fun to revisit.
Reidsie Rocks! (7/10/99)
Everybody's got pivotal moments in their life to which they can point. The summer of 1999 was pretty huge for me. At the time I made this tape, I was about three weeks away from getting engaged to Deb. It wasn't a matter of if, but when. We had already discussed the ring and everything, and I had it, but it was finding the right time to spring it on her. It was about a week before John F. Kennedy Jr.'s plane went down near Martha's Vineyard, causing non-stop media coverage, and two weeks before Woodstock '99, which was best remembered for the riots that took place.
In the meantime, I decided to make Deb a tape, not because I needed to win her through the power of mixology, but just because I wanted to give her something cool to listen to. I threw on some stuff I knew she already dug, like the R.E.M. song, but most of it was stuff I thought she'd dig. I included a fair amount of cool late '90s chick rock from folks like Liz Phair, Elastica, Tracy Bonham and Luscious Jackson, and some good mid-tempo rock from Beck, Chris Whitley, Sloan, Morphine and Matthew Sweet, among others. A solid effort. I'm not sure why I included "Song for the Dumped" by the Ben Folds Five, since there was no dumping and I wasn't saying "Gimme my money back, you bitch." I just liked the song, I guess.
The name of the tape derives from a nickname I had given her, since her name was Deb Reid Siegel. This was probably the third mix tape I had made for a girl; the first two relationships didn't work out well, so I guess the third time was the charm. Deb liked the tape and it got a lot of play on road trips for the first few years afterward, until CDs started taking over.
Anyhoo, nearly 11 years later, we're still together, so I guess the tape was the clincher. That's what I'm going to tell myself.
Side A
At My Most Beautiful - R.E.M.
Bobcaygeon - The Tragically Hip
At Flat as the Earth/Automatic Love - Chris Whitley
Wishlist - Pearl Jam
Scar Tissue - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Tropicalia - Beck
Circles - Soul Coughing
When I Grow Up - Garbage
Johnny Feelgood - Liz Phair
Sharks Can't Sleep - Tracy Bonham
Stutter - Elastica
Better Than Nothing - Jen Trynin
Superconnected - Belly
Naked Eye - Luscious Jackson
Side B
Rachael - Buffalo Tom
Walking After You - Foo Fighters
One Hit Wonder - Everclear
Thinking of You - Lenny Kravitz
Early to Bed - Morphine
Song for the Dumped - Ben Folds Five
Sinking Ships - Sloan
Evangeline - Matthew Sweet
Natural One - Folk Implosion
Eurotrash Girl - Cracker
Trip Through Your Wires - U2
Love Rears Its Ugly Head - Living Colour
Early to Bed:
Dumped:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stuck In Thee Garage #654: October 16, 2026
By the time Friday rolls around, the weight of the world can weigh heavy on your shoulders. Not that it goes away on the weekends, but at le...
-
Part 4 of my conversation with guest Phil Stacey as we crown the winner of a March Madness-style tournament featuring our favorite rock arti...
-
There isn't enough time in the day to get everything done. And sometimes that leads to little details getting missed. Case in point: Whe...
2 comments:
Damn, Kumar! You trying to make me cry with this?
No, but you're always crying at the drop of a hat, Briggy.
Post a Comment