Sunday, April 26, 2009

Slap Dash for No Cash

Another long weekend is over, just like that. We've been enjoying some sweltering 80 to 85-degree temps the last few days, although it dropped down into the 60s rather suddenly this afternoon. Supposed to be back into the 70s tomorrow. The girls are already whining about how hot it is, but I'll take it.

I took Friday off to spend with the girls. Went out for my first run since the marathon and felt pretty good doing 5 miles, although my legs were really sore afterward. I spent the rest of the day running errands before Hannah's 7th birthday party, which was a "chef party" with her and nine friends. They put toppings on pizzas, decorated mini-cakes, and did crafts. A bit messy, but they had a lot of fun. Hannah's actual birthday is next Wednesday.

On Saturday, I managed to score a ticket to the Sox-Yankees game, so I drove into the city to meet my buddies Gary and Brad and their friend Tim. It was a gorgeous day, sunny and 85. We had tickets for the right field roof, a standing-room only area that Deb and I went to a few years ago. It ended up being a great spot because the breeze off the harbor made it really comfortable. The game itself was insane, a 16-11 marathon victory for the Red Sox. Good times. Got home at 10 and ended up watching the Ducks-Sharks game until 1 a.m.; Sharks won in OT to force the series to a game 6.

Today I ran the Ring Around the Neck 5-miler in Marblehead. It was another hot day and being on the water didn't cool the race down any. I ran it in 40:18 (40:09 by my watch), which wasn't bad considering the heat, hills and the fact it had been six days since the marathon.

I've been pretty good about eating smaller portions since I started paying attention to that on Thursday. Although we went to a goodbye party this afternoon and I ate a lot of junk. But on the whole, I've lost about five pounds so far.

Sweating bullets:
  • It has been interesting the last few days to watch the furor over a possible swine flu epidemic sweeping the continent. It started in Mexico and now some cases have reportedly been found in Texas and New York. The tricky thing is keeping people from panicking, because the symptoms are pretty similar to the regular flu. The CDC announced a public health emergency to warn the public about it, but I wonder what, if anything, we can do about it.
  • Showbiz legend Bea Arthur is dead at 86. But not to worry: Bea Arthur's Revenge lives on. And holy crap, this 1988 Canuckian PSA with Mario Lemeiux and Tony Fernandez is just plain awesome.
  • I've been digging the new Art Brut album, Art Brut vs. Satan. Good, punchy Britrock produced by Frank Black. The singer, Eddie Argos, rants and raves much like a UK version of Craig Finn of the Hold Steady. Makes sense that those bands toured together.

No comments:

Day After Day #122: Vital Signs

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Vital Signs (1981) I know Rush can be an...