Sunday, August 05, 2007

Dirty Haired Halo


Hola. Just got back from NJ after a long weekend. I wasn't able to post before or while we were there. Here's a quick wrap-up of the week:



  • Tuesday, I ran in the Yankee Homecoming 10-miler up in Newburyport. It was a perfect night for the race, with low humidity and temps in the 70s. I struggled with a stomach issue; basically felt like something was slowing me down the whole race. At the 8.5-mile mark, I got a cramp in my gut that I had to contend with the rest of the way; couldn't shake it, but I was able to keep going, even if I wasn't able to kick it into high gear at the end. Still, I finished in 1:21, which is my best time on that course (not my PR for a 10-mile race; that was 1:20 back in '01 at the Larry Robinson World Without Cancer race in Andover). Above is a shot of me not too far from the finish.
  • On Thursday, I ran the Beverly Homecoming 5K. I like this race. Great course, plus I know a ton of the people running. They had fun runs for the kids, so we had both girls run. I've only done it once before, in '03, and I had my 5K PR with a 21:33. This year, it was a hot and muggy night and again my stomach didn't feel quite right. I huffed and puffed my way through it and finished in 21:35. Not too shabby.
  • We left for Joisey on Friday morning and spent the evening down at the lake near Matt and Tricia's house. The kids had a blast in the water and we had fun hanging out until suddenly, a storm moved in. A few lightning flashes were enough to get everyone to flee the lake and we went home and put the kids to bed.
  • Saturday morning, I went out early for a 13-mile run in the state park nearby. It was cloudy and 68 when I left, but it was about 88% humidity, so it wasn't long before I was soaked in sweat. I saw a lot of wildlife on the run; bunnies, pheasants and a deer. I'm just glad I didn't run into any bears, which are common around there. I felt good on the run and was glad to have it done early. Then it was time to get ready for Matt's son Danny's 6th birthday party extravaganza, which was a sports-themed event: baseball, soccer, basketball, football. Mini fields, diamonds, etc., were set up and groups of kids played each game for a few minutes before a whistle blew and they moved on to the next. The beers went down easy for the grown-ups and it was a good time as always.

Aiight, time to have some dinner.


No comments:

Stuck In Thee Garage #654: October 16, 2026

By the time Friday rolls around, the weight of the world can weigh heavy on your shoulders. Not that it goes away on the weekends, but at le...