Saturday, June 23, 2007

Run Pig Run

I'm loving this stuff. Summer's officially here, it's gorgeous out, it's Saturday. Just got back from a nice 13-mile run. Felt good, although my right little toe is a little sore. I definitely need new shoes, but they'll have to wait until we get back from Disney in a few weeks.


This was the first week of training for my fall marathon. I'm doing the Furman FIRST plan again, which worked well for me last fall. It involves running three times a week--a speed workout, a tempo run and a long run. The idea is to minimize wear and tear and cross train on the other days. This week, I ran twice but didn't really do what I was supposed to, but I will get a speed workout and tempo run in next week. I'm supposed to run 15 miles next weekend, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen because we're leaving for Florida at the crack of dawn Friday morning and driving for 21 hours or so. But no biggie. I've been running all spring and am in pretty decent shape, so missing a long run here and there won't mean much. I'm not going to stress about it.


Both wiggity and wack:

  • I got to watch the first round of the NHL draft last night. The Leafs made a splash earlier in the day by trading their first, second and fourth-round picks to San Jose for goalie Vesa Toskala and forward Mark Bell. Definitely a deal to address their shortcomings in net last season, but one that gave the lie to general manager John Ferguson Jr.'s supposed plan of building for the future. Obviously, he was feeling the heat from management to make the playoffs and he got a good goalie, one who's better than last season's starter Andrew Raycroft. But the bummer of it all is by trading away that first pick, number 13 overall, they missed out on the chance to pick a top-notch prospect in Alexei Cherepanov or Angelo Esposito, both of whom went late in the first round to the Rangers and Penguins, respectively, and both of whom could have a huge impact on an NHL team in a few years. Instead, the Leafs added more salaries before free agent season, when they could have used that money to lure a top-tier forward like Daniel Briere, Chris Drury or Scott Gomez. Ultimately, they may make the playoffs, but down the line they may regret giving up that top pick.

No comments:

Day After Day #116: Higher Ground

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Higher Ground (1973) It's pretty wil...